end，音标：英 [end] 美 [end]
1、demand an end 条件终止
2、draw to an end 收场,结束
3、fight to the end 战争事实
4、serve end 为主意办事
1、Dont give away the end of the story.
2、The story has a happy end.
3、The end of cloth is enough for a dress.
4、When the meeting ended,I began to chat with some of the members.
end, accomplish, conclude这组词都有“收场”“结束”的旨趣。区别正在于:
1. N-SING 最终一面;末尾 The end of something such as a period of time, an event, a book, or a film is the last part of it or the final point in it.
The ￡5 banknote was first issued at the end of the 18th century...
The report is expected by the end of the year...
You will have the chance to ask questions at the end.
2. V-ERG （使）收场;（使）终结 When a situation, process, or activity ends, or when something or someone ends it, it reaches its final point and stops.
The meeting quickly ended and Steve and I left the room...
Talks have resumed to try to end the fighting...
She began to weep. That ended our discussion.
The ending of a marriage by death is different in many ways from an ending occasioned by porce.
3. N-COUNT 收场;终止;结果;结果 An end to something or the end of it is the act or result of stopping it so that it does not continue any longer.
The French government today called for an end to the violence...
I was worried she would walk out or bring the interview to an end...
Francis fined him two weeks wages and said: Thats the end of the matter.
4. V-ERG 以…体例收场;终结 If you say that someone or something ends a period of time in a particular way, you are indicating what the final situation was like. You can also say that a period of time ends in a particular way.
The markets ended the week on a quiet note...
British Gas shares ended the day 1p up at 287p...
The evening ended with a dramatic display of fireworks.
5. VERB （一段年光）收场,终结 If a period of time ends, it reaches its final point.
Its monthly reports on program trading usually come out about three weeks after each month ends...
The first figure shows sales for week ending July 27.
They hired eight college graduates to start work after the college year ends in March.
6. V-ERG (书、演说、扮演等)以…为收场，以…收场 If something such as a book, speech, or performance ends with a particular thing or the writer or performer ends it with that thing, its final part consists of the thing mentioned.
His statement ended with the words: Pray for me....
The book ends on a lengthy description of Hawaii...
Dawkins ends his discussion with a call for liberation...
7. VERB 完毕;完结 If a situation or event ends in a particular way, it has that particular result.
The incident could have ended in tragedy...
The match ended in a draw...
Our conversations ended with him saying he would try to be more understanding...
8. N-COUNT 末梢;终点 The two ends of something long and narrow are the two points or parts of it that are furthest away from each other.
The company is planning to place surveillance equipment at both ends of the tunnel...
A typical fluorescent lamp is a tube with metal electrodes at each end.
9. N-COUNT 末梢;末梢;尖端 The end of a long, narrow object such as a finger or a pencil is the tip or smallest edge of it, usually the part that is furthest away from you.
He tapped the ends of his fingers together...
She let the long cone of ash hang at the end of her cigarette.
10. VERB 尖端有;最终一面是 If an object ends with or in a particular thing, it has that thing on its tip or point, or as its last part.
It has three pairs of legs, each ending in a large claw.
11. VERB （河道等）终止，停住 A journey, road, or river that ends at a particular place stops there and goes no further.
The road ended at a T-junction...
The journey ends in the ancient city of Marrakesh.
12. N-COUNT (品级的)一端，一头 End is used to refer to either of the two extreme points of a scale, or of something that you are considering as a scale.
At the other end of the social scale was the grocer, the villages only merchant...
The agreement has been criticised by extremist groups on both ends of the political spectrum.
13. N-COUNT (接洽、游览等的)一端，一方，一头 The other end is one of two places that are connected because people are communicating with each other by telephone or writing, or are travelling from one place to the other.
When he answered the phone, Ferguson was at the other end...
There was silence at the other end of the line...
Make sure to meet them at the other end.
14. N-COUNT (项目、管事的)一面，方面 If you refer to a particular end of a project or piece of work, you mean a part or aspect of it, for example a part of it that
is done by a particular person or in a particular place.
You take care of your end, kid, Ill take care of mine...
Lets go up to the office and settle the business end of things.
15. N-COUNT 主意;贪图 An end is the purpose for which something is done or towards which you are working.
The police force is being manipulated for political ends...
Now the government is trying another policy designed to achieve the same end.
n.<正>结果5261; 端; 终止; 最终4102一面;
The operations will end in december.
末尾、终点的旨趣 习性用the end
End table 茶几dao ; 床头柜 ; 有抽屉茶几 ; 小茶几
end point 尽头 ; 端点 ; 滴定尽头 ; 收场点
DOUBLE END 双经 ; 双经纱疵 ; 双端引线 ; 双端
This passage ends the novel.
You just committed the blunder to end all blunders.
A bullet through the heart ended her.